Hello Hackers, In my previous post I discussed the Kali Linux. In that post, I covered What is Kali Linux and why is so important for Hackers? if you want to know about this then you can also check that post. Today in this post I am going to tell you about how to install a Kali Linux in a system or Laptop. In short, I also tell you about Kali Linux just overview.
Kali Linux or simply Kali is the Open Source Operating System designed for digital forensics and penetration testing. Kali is a Debian-derived Linux Distribution from Offensive Security. It is the successor to the BackTrack Linux Distribution. Kali is used for the purpose of penetration testing. Penetration Testing is also called Pen Testing. It is a type of security testing that is used to find vulnerabilities of an application that an attacker could exploit. A penetration test can help determine whether a system is vulnerable to attack if the defenses were sufficient, and which defenses (if any) the test defeated.
Before beginning the whole procedure for installing the Kali. You need to know what requirements are needed for an installation of Kali Linux in your system or laptop. There is the requirement which you need to fulfill before going further :
- A minimum requirement of free hard disk space is 8 GB. I recommended you at least 20 GB or 25 GB to hold other programs and world lists generated. That i will tell you later.
- A minimum 1 GB of RAM is required.
- A bootable CD-DVD drive or a USB drive.
Now, Let's Begin with installation…
Steps to Installing a Kali Linux
- Firstly, you need to insert the Kali Linux bootable USB drive or CD-DVD drive. After that reboot the system and press the boot key (ex: F12 is used in HP for opening a boot menu).
- Then you select the USB drive if you have bootable USB otherwise CD-DVD. After then the following picture that given below will occur. Choose Graphical Install .
- Choose your language. I choose English but you can able to choose according to your comfort. That you can easily understand.
- Now, choose your location like i choose United States as shown in below picture. You can choose your country.
- Choose to configure of your keyboard. I used American English Keyboard so I choose American English. You can choose your's.
- The next section asks you to configure the network. In this case, you leave this default name Kali or enter name whatever you want and continue.
- Now, you will need to set a password whatever you want that you capable to remember. By default your user name is root.
- Choose your timezone like I choose Eastern. You choose your time zone whatever it is.
- In this step, you are now able to select your disk partition scheme in which you have four options. Choose Guided- use entire disk as this helps you to easy partitioning the disk. If you select other option like Manual then you able to select the particular partition for installation. You also need to divide the selected partition into two further parts. One for swap (i.e. 4 or 8 GB partition) and other is remaining for ext4.
- At this step, You need to do nothing just Click on Continue.
- Now, you have three options : All files in one partition, Separate /home partition and Separate /home,/usr,/var, and /tmp partitions. In that you need to choose one option. In this case i Choose All files in one partition that is recommended too.
- After getting the next screen you just need to choose the Yes and Click on Continue . You need to note one thing here this is the last chance to go back and change your disk partition. After this step, you lost all data that have in this partition or disk (if you selected full disk).
- In the next step, if you want to connect to a network mirror. A network mirror allows you to receive updates for Kali whenever they become available. I choose Yes and click on Continue
- Next, you just need to skip the HTTP proxy page by Clicking on Continue
- Finally, you need to install the GRUB boot loader to the master boot record. So you need to choose Yes and Click on Continue .
- That's it. You have now completed the installation of Kali Linux! Click on Continue and the system will reboot and bring you to the login page. You just need to enter the user name: root and password which you set before. Enjoy…..